According to the Insurance Information Institute’s latest report about 1 in every 50 homes will file an insurance claim each year. The two reasons topping the chart as the most common losses are wind plus hail and water damage, followed by property damage and theft. Some losses may be at least partially preventable.
We would like to provide some tips and info on how you could potentially avoid a claim in the coming year.
- Check all water line connections; this includes appliances in your kitchen, bathroom, wash room and outside hose attachments
- Inspect all drainage and vents of your home, make sure to sweep out and flush exterior gutters, degrease and clean range hoods as well as unclogging sink/tub drains monthly
- Trim trees around the home that could potentially cause damage to the siding of your roof, upkeep your lawn and check the sprinkler system
- Check exterior home for areas that show cracks or need to be repainted and refinished as needed
- Inspect roof for loose or missing shingles, hire a licensed contractor to repair any damage and keep proof of completed work
Install a Wi-Fi Water Detector. Wi-Fi Water Detectors, particularly those that automatically shut off the water supply to your home if they detect inconsistency in the flow of water, may reduce – or even eliminate – significant water leaks. We have partnered with FLO Technologies to offer you half off a FLO by Moen device – with free installation! Visit www.meetflo.com/western-mutual for more information. If you elect to use another Wi-Fi Water Detection System with automatic water shutoff, we will reimburse you up to $200 for the cost of the system. You may also be eligible for a policy discount when you install a Wi-Fi Water Detection system.