If you are experiencing a claims emergency during our closed office hours, please call our after-hours claims line immediately at 1-866-926-2142. A claims representative will contact you and explain the process so that we can resolve the situation as soon as possible. If you have more questions about our claims process or how to file, visit our website at https://www.westernmutual.com/claims
According to the Insurance Information Institute’s latest report about 1 in every 50 homes will file an insurance claim each year. The two reasons topping the chart as the most common losses are wind plus hail and water damage, followed by property damage and theft. Some losses may be at least partially preventable.
We would like to provide some tips and info on how you could potentially avoid a claim in the coming year.
- Check all water line connections; this includes appliances in your kitchen, bathroom, wash room and outside hose attachments
- Inspect all drainage and vents of your home, make sure to sweep out and flush exterior gutters, degrease and clean range hoods as well as unclogging sink/tub drains monthly
- Trim trees around the home that could potentially cause damage to the siding of your roof, upkeep your lawn and check the sprinkler system
- Check exterior home for areas that show cracks or need to be repainted and refinished as needed
- Inspect roof for loose or missing shingles, hire a licensed contractor to repair any damage and keep proof of completed work
Install a Wi-Fi Water Detector. Wi-Fi Water Detectors, particularly those that automatically shut off the water supply to your home if they detect inconsistency in the flow of water, may reduce – or even eliminate – significant water leaks. We have partnered with FLO Technologies to offer you half off a FLO by Moen device – with free installation! Visit www.meetflo.com/western-mutual for more information. If you elect to use another Wi-Fi Water Detection System with automatic water shutoff, we will reimburse you up to $200 for the cost of the system. You may also be eligible for a policy discount when you install a Wi-Fi Water Detection system.
As a preferred insurance company, we understand that filing a claim is not only stressful but can seem difficult to do. These unforeseen events cause more than just damage but also leave you feeling hopeless. We want to let you know that help is available.
When discovering a potential claim at your home, we would like to remind you of some tips that’ll make the process easier:
- Call your insurance company right away, do not wait for the risk or damage to become bigger
- If you find water has started to cause damage or has flooded any space in your house, shut the water off immediately
- If you don’t remember your policy number, it’s okay! We have other methods of finding your policy with us
- Do not call a third party to clean-up, patch or inspect conditions without contacting your insurance first
- Keep records such as receipts, photos and videos of your items within your home
- Always hire licensed contractors to perform work on your home, this is for your protection
These real-life claims, from families in Middletown, CA and Coffey Park, CA, were processed and completed with love, care and dedication. Thank you to our valued agents, adjusters and the talented contractors who made these stories end on a positive note. We thank you for letting us protect you and your home and look forward to offering continued quality service in the years to come!