Saving Your Home & Your Loved Ones

According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly 358,500 house fires occur each year in the United States. These fires cause an annual average of 560 civilian deaths and $1.4 billion in direct property damage.

Any fire at home is a scary thought, but luckily there are things you can do yourself at home to prevent the risk of a fire from ever starting. While accidents can happen, learning how to avoid a fire from starting or knowing what to do to prevent it from spreading throughout your home is vital.

Below we have shared a few areas of your home that you may need to check or cleanout to ensure that you have completed your task of at-home prevention.

  1. Smoke detector/CO-2: Replace the batteries in your smoke/CO alarms periodically. House fires can spread from room to room in a matter of seconds. A disconnected smoke/CO alarm or one with dead batteries increases the possibility of a total loss of your home and a potentially life-threatening situation.
  2. Electrical System: Make sure all of your outlets and lighting switches are secure with no loose wires hanging. Check your circuit outlets as well in your kitchen, bathroom, garage, etc. You can test them by pressing the “test” button followed by pushing the “reset” button. These are usually found behind large appliances and other areas of the home where there are chances of an electrical surge.
  3. Chimney Sweep: The build-up of soot and debris can accumulate in a chimney, causing a fire hazard if not cleared out. Always make sure flammable items like blankets and curtains are pushed away from an open flame.
  4. Clean Vents & Fans: A clogged dryer vent is one of the most common causes of home fires. With a dryer vent brush, sweep both sides of the surface of the dryer screen and inside the tube. A clean fan screen above your kitchen stove can help prevent the potential for grease fires, a necessity for your home and family’s safety.
  5. Exposed Lightbulbs: Lights without a protective cover are a fire safety concern since some bulbs (depending on the wattage) can burn upwards of 200-500 degrees Fahrenheit.  A loose piece of clothing or curtain blowing in the wind can land on a lit bulb and cause a house fire.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s