Thanksgiving this year may be a little different but one thing is for sure, lots of delicious dishes. But with fryers going, busy home kitchens, and lots of distractions, Thanksgiving is consistently the highest day of the year for home claims. We want to share some tips on how to safely put out a grease fire if one were to occur in your home.
- Do not use water! This will cause a flare up and actually spread the fire faster as it increases in size
- Turn off the heat source. The grease or oil ignited in the first place because it got too hot. So turning off the heat source is a good first step, if you can do it safely
- Cover the flames with a metal lid or cookie sheet. Leave the cover on until it has cooled
- Douse the grease fire with lots of baking soda. Have baking soda nearby at all times when cooking as it can successfully put out a grease fire
- Keep a Class-B fire extinguisher in your home at all times and if the fire is uncontrollable call 911