Is your home ready for the next big one?
Although earthquakes are unpredictable and years can go by without feeling one, being ready at all times is a must! Everyone knows to take cover and wait it out, but what do you do once the shaking has stopped, will you be ready? A few very important reminders:
- Try to maintain close to a full tank of gas in your car at all times (or in portable containers) as gas stations will not operate after a big earthquake.
- Share your phone location with family and/or friends so that in the midst of havoc, you can still find each other.
- Along with your first aid kit and back up food supply keep a portable charger that can keep your phone alive a little bit longer to call for help.
- Check under your sinks for cracks or leakages to make sure you won’t be leaving the house and coming back to a flooded home.
- Be ready for aftershocks! Although checking for damages is important, know that aftershocks are more than certain so be prepared to exit or take cover.