Every year it seems like we go through the same cycle of preparing for the New Year with plans to look, feel and do better. However, 9 times out of 10, that plan is short lived and we revert to old ways or habits. This time around though, we have some tips to help your resolution stick and improve your overall self.
- Just pick one thing. Don’t try to change a bunch of things at once; it often times can be too complicated. Instead, pick one thing to begin. Make it something concrete so you know exactly what change you’re planning to make.
- Pick a start date. You don’t have to make these changes on New Year’s Day. That’s the conventional wisdom, but if you truly want to make changes, pick a day when you know you’ll be well-rested, enthusiastic and surrounded by positive people.
- Write it down. Make a commitment and write it down. Writing it down gives you the added obligation of keeping to your resolution. Think about writing it down on a card, typing it in your phone’s notes app, or posting it to social media. This will hold you more accountable to your actions.
- Accept failure. If you do fail, it’s okay. Make a note of the triggers that caused your set back and vow to learn a lesson from them. Perseverance is the key to success. Keep trying and you will succeed.
- Plan rewards. Small rewards are a great encouragement to keep you going during the beginning stages! Treat yourself every once in a while!