In order to prepare you and your families for cooler weather, we have created a cold weather checklist!
Now that the sun sets a little sooner, take the opportunity to follow our guide below and prep your home before we lose more hours of light and endure stormy days.
- Close off unneeded rooms and place towels or rugs over cracks under the doors to keep the warm air in and cool air out
- If you have a fireplace, make sure you have a good supply of firewood that can keep you and your family warm in the event of power outages
- Have flashlights and batteries available for blackouts and avoid using candles as they can become a fire hazard
- Provide shelter for pets and the elderly
- Bring plants inside to protect them from the elements
- Use blackout curtains as they prevent heat loss
- Reverse your ceiling fans to make them spin clockwise and create an updraft that pushes warm air around the room without creating a wind chill
- Clean the gutters off of your roof as when clogged, rain and melted snow can cause leaks and damage to your home’s infrastructure
- Maintain tree limbs and brush because wind, rain, snow and ice can cause them to break and fall