Did you know that the holiday season and colder weather combined can lead to more home fires at this time of year?
Knowing how to properly and safely heat your home is important, especially when staying warm feels better next to an open fireplace. The following are tips to remember when heating up your house this winter.
- If using a space heater, look for a model that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over. Place the heater on a level, hard and nonflammable surface in the home.
- Keep all potential sources of fuel like paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, or fireplaces.
- Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home and have chimneys, fireplaces, wood and coal stoves inspected and cleaned before another winter of use.
- Test batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Know your fireplace type. Never use wood in a gas only fireplace, it is extremely dangerous.
- Never put embers from a fireplace or fire pit in your trash can as this can cause a fire.